Reference Quantity: ST0315
Particulars of ordinary
Railway engineering design technicians present technical help to engineers who design infrastructure and methods for railways. The engineering disciplines concerned embrace signalling, rolling inventory, observe, methods, civil engineering, communications, electrification and electrical plant. It’s probably that many technicians will concentrate on a specific self-discipline whist others could have a broader abilities base.
A technician’s work might contain:
- Design – surveying a web site, producing design drawings, aiding the event of technical options and manufacturing of calculations.
- Evaluation – use of software program methods for knowledge gathering, evaluation and design.
- Planning – serving to to handle initiatives, set deadlines for the design of the mission and dealing to a programme.
- Web site engineering – taking accountability for checking the progress and high quality of specified technical elements of building work on web site.
Key parts of the position embrace:
- Contributing to design options by making ready calculations, producing engineering drawings and fashions.
- Supporting the administration and administration of initiatives.
- Making certain outputs meet the required requirements set by shoppers and the trade.
- Working as a member of a workforce in each an workplace and on-site surroundings.
Typical Job titles:
Engineer, Web site Surveyor and Railwayman
Particular person employers will set the choice standards for his or her Apprenticeships. Apprenticeship candidates will sometimes have at the very least 5 GCSEs at Grades A*-C together with Maths (Grade B), English and Science or their equal. Employers who recruit candidates with out English or Maths at Grade C or above should be sure that the candidate achieves a degree 2 equal commonplace previous to the completion of the Apprenticeship. Entrants should additionally present an inherent ability and need to work within the discipline of rail design, have a ardour for growing technical options and exhibit health to work in a business sector.
The everyday length for this apprenticeship is 36 months however this can rely on the earlier expertise of the apprentice and entry to alternatives to realize full vary of competence.
This can be a Degree 3 Apprenticeship. On completion of the apprenticeship the apprentice could have glad the necessities for registration as an Engineering Technician by the related skilled engineering establishment.
The Apprenticeship Commonplace will probably be reviewed in 3 years.
A Railway Engineering Design Technician must find out about:
- The completely different methods and strategies used to design infrastructure, methods and tools to be used by rail transport methods. This contains an understanding of how concepts and necessities are transformed into engineering specs and designs; figuring out the trade codes, firm requirements/procedures, contracts and specs and when to use them.
- The acceptable scientific, technical and engineering rules referring to rail transport methods. This contains an understanding of the mathematical, scientific and engineering methods required to help the design course of; an understanding of the elemental rules in observe, traction, signalling, rolling inventory, civil engineering buildings, mechanical and electrical tools and plant design; and the way these interface with one another.
- The way to work successfully and contribute to engineering options by the proper use of assets and time. This contains an understanding of mission administration methods, instruments and methods together with change, doc and configuration management procedures; the business, building and technical constraints on a design; and the standard administration and assurance methods as they’re utilized to the design course of; and time administration inside total programme of labor.
- The way to talk successfully utilizing a variety of methods. This contains an understanding of various communication strategies and when to make use of them; the construction of technical stories and write them; technical drawing conventions and engineering terminology; collaboration platforms and efficient workforce working.
- The code of conduct of related skilled our bodies and establishments together with ethics and their utility in design. This contains an understanding of the safety of shopper confidentiality and the necessity to adhere to company insurance policies on ethics and variety.
- Safe working practices and adjust to them. This contains hazard identification, mitigation and safe-by-design for rail methods; and an understanding of related well being and security laws procedures and the way they work together.
- Sustainable improvement and their very own contribution to financial, environmental and social wellbeing. This contains an understanding of firm and shopper sustainability and environmental insurance policies and their affect on design; and an consciousness of Environmental Influence Evaluation.
- Sources of and approaches to Persevering with Skilled Improvement (CPD). This contains an understanding of appraisal schemes together with coaching and improvement plans, CPD obligations and competency necessities.
A Railway Engineering Design Technician wants to have the ability to:
- Use acceptable scientific, technical and engineering rules, methods and strategies to contribute to the design of infrastructure, methods and tools for the rail transport system. This contains the flexibility to supply and test calculations; create drawings, plans, schedules, specs and stories to the required format and commonplace; use acceptable software program methods for knowledge gathering, CAD, BIM and Venture Administration; and help with web site surveys and inspections.
- Work successfully throughout features and contribute to supply engineering options by the proper use of assets and time. This contains the flexibility to contribute to figuring out, analysing, growing, optimising and finalising sustainable options to engineering issues while working inside programme and to funds. Additionally included is the flexibility to comply with technical procedures by studying and deciphering design paperwork and checking necessities to make sure requirements are met.
- Manage work and keep the standard of their very own work and that of others. This contains the flexibility to evaluate the duty to be carried out, plan/schedule work and handle time; determine when to allocate work to different individuals; keep the circulate of knowledge so the work could be accomplished on time; test work at an acceptable degree and towards acceptable requirements and specification; and organise, take part in and document conferences.
- Talk successfully with a variety of audiences utilizing a variety of methods together with verbal communication, written stories and drawings utilizing right phrases, requirements and codecs.
- Maintain themselves and others secure by adhering to secure working practices. This contains the flexibility to determine hazards and assess dangers, comply with secure methods of labor and cling to all firm security insurance policies.
- Maintain their very own abilities base and studying. This contains the flexibility to constantly assess their very own competence towards coaching targets and determine improvement wants and coaching motion plans and adjust to the code of conduct set out by their establishment
- Take a accountable method to well being and security
- Be skilled, proactive and receptive to criticism
- Keen to be taught new abilities and to adapt within the gentle of expertise
- Know one’s limitations and when to ask for assist or escalate
- Work independently and take accountability for and satisfaction of their work
- Apply a structured method to downside fixing
- As a part of a workforce provide a wise degree of problem, present constructive suggestions and contribute to discussions
- Resist stress to do the incorrect factor and have the ability to say no.
Crown copyright © 2023. It’s possible you’ll re-use this info (not together with logos) freed from cost in any format or medium, beneath the phrases of the Open Authorities Licence. Go to www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence