Fever-reducing drugs, out there in liquid formulation for youngsters, have change into tougher to search out in lots of elements of the nation, together with the Sacramento area.
The explanation: A surging demand attributable to a big enhance in respiratory diseases.
UC Davis pediatricians provide the next 8 recommendations for households who’re in search of alternate options once they can’t discover kids’s Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (ibuprofen).
- Don’t give grownup Tylenol or Motrin to kids underneath 12.
- Seek for generic variations of youngsters’s acetaminophen and ibuprofen, which can be in inventory as an alternative of brand name names Tylenol or Motrin.
- Take into account kids’s acetaminophen suppositories. Use as directed. Don’t administer orally.
- Ask associates and neighbors if they’ve any further kids’s over-the-counter treatment they might share. Additionally, make certain drugs has not expired.
- Don’t substitute with aspirin.
- Watch out of medicines with a number of drugs inside one (Mucinex, Nyquil, and so forth.) which might not be secure for youthful kids.
- Keep in mind that not all fevers should be handled with drugs. Gown your little one in gentle, unfastened clothes and ensure they’re effectively hydrated.
- Don’t use ibuprofen in kids youthful than six months, until prescribed by a doctor.