Reference Quantity: ST0068
Particulars of normal
Overview of the Position:
A Heavy Car (HV) technician companies, inspects and repairs HVs, categorised by the Division
of Transport as class N2 or N3, and related trailers, with the related ancillaries. They work in both a dealership that focusses on a specific producer, or for an unbiased storage, franchise or giant fleet operator that offers with many alternative makes of automobiles. They work on all of the techniques discovered inside the car. The character of the work ranges from changing easy components by way of to fixing advanced faults with the usage of diagnostic strategies and gear. The day-to-day duties confronted by the technician are continually altering, pushed by the introduction of ever extra advanced applied sciences and diagnostic strategies. In the present day’s technician has to show experience within the technical aspect of their position. They will need to have robust problem-solving expertise and a great grasp of the theoretical and sensible features of automobiles techniques and related ancillaries. They have to have the ability to work independently but in addition function as an efficient staff member, understanding how their workshop and the dealership/storage/department capabilities from a industrial perspective, have good buyer dealing with expertise and determine methods during which they will work extra effectively. The rising complexity of as we speak’s automobiles and the strain to ship a high-quality buyer expertise requires the retail automotive sector to draw and prepare excessive calibre people and that is mirrored within the parts of the Commonplace described under.
Usually it’s anticipated that it’ll take three years for the apprentice to achieve the required degree of competence within the office though it might be sooner if a person already has important coaching and sensible expertise.
Particular person employers will set their very own choice standards for the candidates. It’s nevertheless beneficial that to optimise the prospect of choice, candidates can show an curiosity in how the HV trade operates in addition to skill to work in an organised and methodical option to analyse and clear up issues; have the ability to show mechanical expertise; additionally show a capability to speak each orally and in writing. Apprentices with out degree 2 English and maths might want to obtain this degree previous to completion of their apprenticeship.
A heavy car service and upkeep technician will show a information and understanding of the next:
- The basics of HV applied sciences e.g. HV chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, electrical (12/24v), air-conditioning, hydraulic and air braking, air suspension techniques and so on.
- The kinds and related traits of HV and their configurations and purposes.
- Diagnosing ideas and logical drawback fixing strategies associated to HV.
- Enough H&S information and environmental consciousness to hold out the work safely.
- Operators “O” Licence necessities regarding HVs.
- How one can service, examine and preserve automobiles and trailers to the anticipated requirements and the significance of security inspection and upkeep schedules to fulfill Operator’s (O) licence and authorized obligations.
- Buyer expectations and implications of labor carried out.
- The have to be dependable, versatile, diligent and good timekeeper.
- How the enterprise works from an operational perspective and show industrial and monetary consciousness within the HV trade.
- Complicated drawback fixing strategies.
- The necessities of offering roadside help.
The competency to attain the next expertise within the office:
- Perform the essential duties with instruments and gear frequent to all procedures involving fundamental mechanical and electrical procedures associated to HV.
- The flexibility to maintain up to date with rising new applied sciences inside the HV trade.
- Contribute to the upkeep of a protected and environment friendly workshop and cling to the corporate and legislative processes.
- Entry particular and associated HV technical info appropriately.
- The flexibility to service, examine and preserve HVs and trailers to fulfill firm, Driver and car requirements company (DVSA) and producers’ requirements.
- Use a variety of diagnostic and electrical measuring gear to determine faults and underlying causes on HV’s.
- Efficiently examine and put together automobiles and trailers to fulfill DVSA requirements prescribed within the tester’s handbook.
- Perform last high quality checks earlier than handover to the client with out supervision.
- Apply superior diagnostic ideas and logical/drawback fixing strategies and regimes.
- Preserve data to firm and operators’ licence obligations and regulation.
- To have the ability to talk successfully in each oral and written mediums each internally and with prospects on a variety of subjects that can help, HV inspection and diagnosing strategies.
Required behaviours to attain the next within the office:
- Behave in accordance with the values of the corporate they work for whether or not producer or unbiased to deal with prospects and stakeholders civilly and reply shortly to their necessities to make sure a superb expertise.
- Function successfully as a staff member taking possession and accountability when required and be trustworthy and accountable in all actions when issues don’t go as deliberate.
- To work at steady growth of each self, staff and processes.
Development, Qualification and Skilled Physique:
This customary has been designed to fulfill the skilled requirements of the related skilled our bodies of the Engineering Council for preliminary registration as an Engineering Technician (Eng. Tech).
On completion of the usual the Engineering Technician will probably be eligible to use for registration as an Engineering Technician with a related skilled physique. On completion and achievement of the usual, candidates can have the chance to progress to Grasp Technician, administration or to develop of their present position.
The apprenticeship ought to be reviewed after a most of three years
This apprenticeship is about at degree 3
Crown copyright © 2022. It’s possible you’ll re-use this info (not together with logos) freed from cost in any format or medium, below the phrases of the Open Authorities Licence. Go to www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence