Reference Quantity: ST0068
Particulars of ordinary
Overview of the Position:
A Heavy Car (HV) technician providers, inspects and repairs HVs, categorised by the Division
of Transport as class N2 or N3, and related trailers, with the related ancillaries. They work in both a dealership that focusses on a selected producer, or for an impartial storage, franchise or giant fleet operator that offers with many various makes of autos. They work on all of the methods discovered inside the car. The character of the work ranges from changing easy elements by way of to fixing complicated faults with the usage of diagnostic strategies and tools. The day-to-day duties confronted by the technician are consistently altering, pushed by the introduction of ever extra complicated applied sciences and diagnostic strategies. At present’s technician has to reveal experience within the technical facet of their function. They should have sturdy problem-solving expertise and a superb grasp of the theoretical and sensible facets of autos methods and related ancillaries. They need to be capable to work independently but in addition function as an efficient staff member, understanding how their workshop and the dealership/storage/department capabilities from a business perspective, have good buyer dealing with expertise and establish methods by which they’ll work extra effectively. The rising complexity of right now’s autos and the stress to ship a high-quality buyer expertise requires the retail automotive sector to draw and prepare excessive calibre people and that is mirrored within the parts of the Commonplace described beneath.
Usually it’s anticipated that it’s going to take three years for the apprentice to achieve the required degree of competence within the office though it could be sooner if a person already has vital coaching and sensible expertise.
Particular person employers will set their very own choice standards for the candidates. It’s nevertheless really useful that to optimise the prospect of choice, candidates can reveal an curiosity in how the HV trade operates in addition to capacity to work in an organised and methodical option to analyse and resolve issues; be capable to reveal mechanical expertise; additionally reveal a capability to speak each orally and in writing. Apprentices with out degree 2 English and maths might want to obtain this degree previous to completion of their apprenticeship.
A heavy car service and upkeep technician will reveal a information and understanding of the next:
- The basics of HV applied sciences e.g. HV chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, electrical (12/24v), air-conditioning, hydraulic and air braking, air suspension methods and so forth.
- The kinds and related traits of HV and their configurations and purposes.
- Diagnosing ideas and logical drawback fixing strategies associated to HV.
- Enough H&S information and environmental consciousness to hold out the work safely.
- Operators “O” Licence necessities referring to HVs.
- Easy methods to service, examine and keep autos and trailers to the anticipated requirements and the significance of security inspection and upkeep schedules to satisfy Operator’s (O) licence and authorized obligations.
- Buyer expectations and implications of labor carried out.
- The must be dependable, versatile, diligent and good timekeeper.
- How the enterprise works from an operational perspective and reveal business and monetary consciousness within the HV trade.
- Advanced drawback fixing strategies.
- The necessities of offering roadside help.
The competency to realize the next expertise within the office:
- Perform the fundamental duties with instruments and tools frequent to all procedures involving fundamental mechanical and electrical procedures associated to HV.
- The flexibility to maintain up to date with rising new applied sciences inside the HV trade.
- Contribute to the upkeep of a secure and environment friendly workshop and cling to the corporate and legislative processes.
- Entry particular and associated HV technical info appropriately.
- The flexibility to service, examine and keep HVs and trailers to satisfy firm, Driver and car requirements company (DVSA) and producers’ requirements.
- Use a variety of diagnostic and electrical measuring tools to establish faults and underlying causes on HV’s.
- Efficiently examine and put together autos and trailers to satisfy DVSA requirements prescribed within the tester’s guide.
- Perform ultimate high quality checks earlier than handover to the client with out supervision.
- Apply superior diagnostic ideas and logical/drawback fixing strategies and regimes.
- Preserve data to firm and operators’ licence obligations and regulation.
- To have the ability to talk successfully in each oral and written mediums each internally and with clients on a variety of subjects that can assist, HV inspection and diagnosing strategies.
Required behaviours to realize the next within the office:
- Behave in accordance with the values of the corporate they work for whether or not producer or impartial to deal with clients and stakeholders civilly and reply shortly to their necessities to make sure a superb expertise.
- Function successfully as a staff member taking possession and duty when required and be trustworthy and accountable in all actions when issues don’t go as deliberate.
- To work at steady improvement of each self, staff and processes.
Development, Qualification and Skilled Physique:
This normal has been designed to satisfy the skilled requirements of the related skilled our bodies of the Engineering Council for preliminary registration as an Engineering Technician (Eng. Tech).
On completion of the usual the Engineering Technician shall be eligible to use for registration as an Engineering Technician with a related skilled physique. On completion and achievement of the usual, candidates may have the chance to progress to Grasp Technician, administration or to develop of their present function.
The apprenticeship must be reviewed after a most of three years
This apprenticeship is about at degree 3
Crown copyright © 2022. Chances are you’ll re-use this info (not together with logos) freed from cost in any format or medium, below the phrases of the Open Authorities Licence. Go to www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence