Flu shot season can deliver stress and nervousness for a lot of kids. UC Davis youngster life specialist Marisa Martinez helps kids address painful procedures whereas they’re within the hospital. She gives these six tricks to dad and mom and caregivers to make the flu shot (or any vaccine) much less scary:
- Begin with a consolation place. Cuddle your youngster whereas they’re sitting in your lap, both dealing with towards or away from you, leaving one among their arms free. This offers consolation and might ease nervousness.
- Create belief and honesty along with your youngster. Be truthful about what’s going to occur once they get their shot in order that they know what to anticipate.
- Use ice 30 to 60 seconds earlier than the shot to numb the realm of their arm – and provides the kid the selection of which arm to make use of.
- Ask them in the event that they wish to rely to a few earlier than their shot – or attempt bringing some bubbles and have them do some deep respiratory by blowing bubbles. See what number of bubbles they’ll blow with one deep breath – and have the shot go in whereas they’re exhaling.
- Give your youngster the selection of which character band support to make use of afterwards. Provide as many selections as attainable.
- Reward your youngster for his or her laborious work – give them a alternative of enjoyable choices (for instance, a scrumptious deal with, an exercise they get pleasure from, an additional story at storytime) to allow them to determine for themselves.
“The important thing right here is letting kids make as many choices as you’ll be able to. There’s a lot that’s out of their management throughout a flu shot, however by permitting them to make some selections, it’ll assist them really feel extra in command of their scenario,” Martinez mentioned. “The objective of offering selections and setting sensible expectations is to set the kid up for achievement for future medical appointments.”