Reference Quantity: ST0191
Particulars of ordinary
Part 1 Occupational profile
Bakers work in one of many largest, most dynamic and quickest rising sectors of the food and drinks trade. Day by day bakers make and promote hundreds of thousands of loaves of bread and baked items, akin to truffles, pies, pastries and biscuits to prospects within the UK and world wide. Bakers are enthusiastic about their trade and the merchandise they make and take nice pleasure of their work
There are various different employment and profession alternatives within the bakery trade. Bakers could also be employed in a conventional craft bakery or in a big automated processing plant; a specialist retail store or grocery store. Many bakers choose to arrange and handle their very own companies.
Whichever surroundings bakers select to work in, they’ll have a set of core data, expertise and behaviours. Bakers will be capable to make a variety of breads and baked items, utilizing a spread of conventional craft and mechanical processing strategies. They wi ll work safely and hygienically, following recipes and specs, to make sure the standard and requirements of merchandise meet buyer necessities.
The trade gives many ongoing profession growth alternatives to go well with their very own specific pursuits, whether or not they aspire to being a supervisor of the longer term, a specialist baker, product designer or retail bakery skilled.
Part 2 Baker – Core Data, expertise and behaviours
Bakers may have the next core data, and can perceive:
- The historical past of bread making: the scale and construction of the bakery sector; how and why manufacturing strategies have developed.
- Theories of baking.
- Fundamental recipe formulation.
- The strategies and processes utilized in bakery, each by hand and utilizing tools, together with: weighing, mixing, proving, dividing, shaping, scaling, blocking, baking, cooling and ending for a spread of bakery merchandise.
- use various kinds of tools, together with mixers and ovens.
- use knives safely together with appropriate use and software
- Substances utilized in bakery: how you can retailer, deal with and transport the principle components utilized in baking akin to flour, yeast, salt, sugar, fat, improvers, water, eggs.
- Ideas of components: together with their origins, properties: functions and makes use of; grades and high quality; and the way they work together.
- Ideas of creating dough: together with adjustments in bodily properties throughout processing, forms of dough for various merchandise.
- Completed baked merchandise: how you can supply, retailer, deal with, bundle, label and transport forms of completed baked merchandise.
- The significance of minimising waste and maximising product yield and revenue, together with pricing and costing.
- take care of waste merchandise and the significance of recycling to a bakery enterprise.
- Laws and laws within the meals trade, together with: well being and security, meals security, allergens, hygiene, cleansing, labelling, and environmental.
- The impression of shopper traits and necessities on the baking trade.
- fry off merchandise and use hotplates.
- use downside fixing expertise to search out root reason for faults.
- Innovation and New Product Growth (NPD) profit bakery.
- use and apply high quality assurance and monitoring processes.
Bakers will reveal the next core expertise, and can be capable to:
- Produce a loaf by hand with no mechanical aids – utilizing solely flour, salt, water and yeast.
- Produce bread and cake merchandise to specification, utilizing each handbook baking processes and mechanical processes.
- Produce a spread of pastries to specification, together with candy and savoury.
- Produce a spread of enriched doughs to specification.
- End bakery merchandise to specification.
- Supply, deal with and retailer components and completed items.
- Use knives, tools and equipment.
- Adjust to laws, laws and organisational necessities for well being and security, meals security and hygiene.
- Keep high quality by finishing up product sampling and testing towards organisational and buyer specs.
- Talk successfully with colleagues, suppliers and prospects.
- Work as a part of a crew and individually in a business baking surroundings.
- Use downside fixing expertise to search out root reason for faults.
- Handle personal time successfully to satisfy manufacturing schedules.
Bakers will reveal the next core behaviours:
- Secure Working: ensures security of self and others, meals secure, addresses issues of safety and issues.
- Possession of labor: accepts accountability and is proactive
- Pleasure in work: integrity, goals for excellence, punctual and dependable
- Self-development: seeks studying and growth alternatives
- Integrity and respect: for all colleagues
- Working in a crew: builds good relationships with others
- Drawback fixing: identifies and participates in downside fixing
- Responsiveness to vary: flexibility to altering surroundings and calls for
- Firm/trade perspective: need to find out about personal firm and meals trade, acts as an envoy.
- Efficient Communication: with others, listens successfully, receives suggestions.
Part 3: Baker – Extra data and expertise for craft, in retailer and automatic bakery
Along with the core data, expertise and behaviours, bakers will reveal specialist extra expertise and data from one of many following craft, in retailer and automated bakery choices All apprentices should full the core plus one of the choices.
Craft bakers will be capable to:
- Produce particular person dough primarily based bread merchandise.
- Produce particular person confectionery merchandise.
- Hand deposit, pipe and sheet.
- Produce and end truffles by hand.
- Perceive when and how you can use specialised components, together with chocolate, fruit, icing, jelly.
In retailer bakers will be capable to:
- Present glorious service to satisfy necessities of shoppers in retailer.
- Test, rotate and replenish inventory within the bakery space of the shop.
- Course of part-bake items prepared on the market.
- End a spread of merchandise prepared on the market.
- Perceive how and handle inventory in an in-store surroundings.
- Perceive and use packaging in an in- retailer surroundings.
Automated bakers will be capable to:
- Produce a spread of bakery items in an automatic bakery.
- Perceive automated and mechanical processing strategies.
- Perceive batch processing.
- Perceive mixing strategies, together with Chorleywood bread course of.
- Perceive the ideas of Giant Scale manufacturing.
- Perceive Ingredient administration in giant scale manufacturing.
- Perceive how you can use programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
- Perceive ideas of auditing necessities.
Part 4: Extra info
Sometimes 18 to 24 months
Apprentices are required to finish a stage 2 Diploma in Bakery, with go, advantage and distinction grading previous to endeavor the end-point evaluation
English and Maths
Apprentices with out stage 2 English and maths might want to obtain stage 1, and take the check for stage 2 English and maths previous to endeavor the end-point evaluation for this apprenticeship
Renewal After 3 years
Crown copyright © 2022. You might re-use this info (not together with logos) freed from cost in any format or medium, below the phrases of the Open Authorities Licence. Go to www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence