The fabled ghosts and goblins of Halloween will be scary for teenagers. However for folks, fears – like being hit by a automotive whereas trick-or-treating – are all too actual. In keeping with Secure Children, twice as many children are killed whereas strolling on Halloween than on some other day of the 12 months.
Jennifer Rubin, Secure Children Better Sacramento Coalition coordinator and damage prevention specialist at UC Davis Well being, affords some easy tricks to hold the evening secure and enjoyable:
Begin with secure costumes:
- Enhance costumes and trick-or-treating baggage with reflective tape or stickers and, if attainable, select light-colored clothes.
- Masks can impede a toddler’s imaginative and prescient. Select non-toxic face paint and make-up at any time when attainable.
- Have youngsters carry glow sticks or flashlights to allow them to see higher, in addition to be seen by drivers.
Be secure whereas strolling:
- Keep alert. Be careful for automobiles which can be turning or backing up and don’t dart out into the road or cross in between parked automobiles.
- Stroll on sidewalks or paths. If there aren’t any sidewalks, stroll dealing with visitors as far to the left as attainable.
- Put digital units down and hold heads up and stroll, don’t run, throughout the road.
- It’s greatest to cross the road safely at corners. At all times look left, proper and left once more when crossing and hold wanting as you cross.
Be secure whereas driving:
- Decelerate in residential neighborhoods. Keep in mind that well-liked trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Be particularly alert and take additional time to search for children at intersections, close to medians and on curbs. Youngsters are excited on Halloween and will transfer in unpredictable methods.
- Cut back any distractions inside your automotive, similar to speaking on the telephone or consuming. That method you may think about the highway and your environment.
“On Halloween, extra youngsters are on the road after darkish than regular. They’re so excited that they might run out into the road with out pondering,” Rubin mentioned. “We ask mother and father to speak to their children about how you can stroll safely and ask drivers to take additional care and decelerate when driving on Halloween evening.”