Reference Quantity: ST0376
Particulars of ordinary
Overview of the function
A bike technician companies and repairs bikes, motorised scooters, all-terrain automobiles (ATV’s), tricycles and automobiles the place the rider sits astride the body, inside both the franchised or unbiased motorbike sector.
A bike technician works on the entire techniques of the motorbike. The character of the work ranges from changing elements by means of to rectifying complicated faults with the help of particular diagnostic strategies and gear. Bikes require particular person arrange and adjustment in relation to rider necessities which vary from leisure, commuting, business and competitors use.
At this time’s motorbike technician has to reveal experience within the technical aspect of their function. They want sturdy downside fixing expertise and a great grasp of the theoretical, sensible and security points of bike techniques.
They have to be capable of work independently and in addition function as an efficient group member, perceive how their workshop and a bike enterprise features from a business perspective, develop good buyer dealing with expertise and determine methods wherein they will work effectively.
Stage: Stage 3
Period: Sometimes, three years
Particular person employers will set their very own choice standards for the candidates. Nevertheless, it is strongly recommended that to optimise the prospect of choice a candidate can reveal an curiosity within the motorbike setting. It is usually advisable that the employer assesses the candidate’s potential to reveal mechanical expertise and talk each orally and in writing.
Apprentices with out stage 2 English and maths might want to obtain this stage previous to completion of their apprenticeship.
Technicians should have data and understanding of the categories, utility and distinctive traits of bikes, scooters, tricycles, ATV’s quad all-terrain automobiles (EU Sort Approval L class) the place the rider sits astride the body and of bike applied sciences:
- Body building and data of welding and brazing strategies
- Deal with bar direct management, steering setup and geometry techniques
- Differing entrance and rear suspension techniques, together with arrange and adjustment
- Entrance and rear, and mixed braking techniques: disc, drum, cable and hydraulic
- Wheels and tyre specs, traits and makes use of to incorporate competitors, off highway, highway use and touring
- Engine / energy supply, together with two stroke, 4 stroke, single and a number of cylinder building, plus electrical propulsion
- Cooling and lubrication techniques together with air and liquid cooled, moist and dry sump engines.
- Gasoline and ignition techniques together with carburettor and injection plus ECU
- Consumption and exhaust techniques together with emission
- Transmission to incorporate chain, belt and shaft drive, CVT driveline techniques
- Electrical techniques together with engine administration, lighting, monitoring and instrumentation, safety and accent becoming (together with digital fault prognosis)
- How one can service, examine and preserve bikes to make sure protected operation assembly all authorized, licensing and buyer expectations and necessities
- Perceive the advantages of on highway testing, to diagnose faults and to confirm right rectifications.
- Diagnostic ideas, bother taking pictures, logical downside fixing and restore methods
- Well being and security data and environmental consciousness to hold out work safely
- Rising applied sciences and laws together with electrical motorbike developments and the influence they are going to have on the data and expertise motorbike technicians would require sooner or later
- Carry out the elemental engineering duties which most procedures embrace, corresponding to: reducing, drilling, submitting, eradicating and changing bolts, screws and clips, changing seals, extracting broken fasteners and utilizing fabrication expertise
- Help in upholding excessive requirements of security and effectivity within the workshop, adhere to the requisite enterprise processes (e.g. environmental consciousness, well being and security practices, document holding, and buyer contact) and customary workshop
- Safely safe bikes to ramps and use specialised supporting stands with the intention to take away highway wheels and main elements, together with: brake techniques, suspension and drive (chain, belt or drive shaft)
- Efficiently examine and put together a bike to the required high quality customary for handover to the client e.g. following a service, complicated restore, pre-delivery inspection by checking work towards
- Service and preserve bikes consistent with producer specs logged in manuals and on-line
- Take away, restore and change elements consistent with producers’ outlined instruction
- Use diagnostic strategies, mechanical and electrical measuring instruments and gear to test compliance and rectify faults
- Examine signs of bike fault(s) and determine the underlying causes previous to restore.
- Entry particular info e.g. motorbike restore info, wiring diagrams, upkeep tables, technical manufacturing info, security remembers and
- Apply superior diagnostic ideas, logical problem-solving methods and sophisticated
- Work cohesively with group colleagues and firm ethics to make sure high quality workmanship.
- Guarantee all work processes are carried out safely and report any considerations or
- Talk successfully and deal with prospects with respect when discussing subjects that can help the method of diagnosing and rectifying faults and particular element arrange necessities
- Behave in accordance with the values of the corporate they work for, function as an efficient group member and be capable of handle personal time successfully
- Take accountability being trustworthy and accountable for personal actions and work
On completion of this customary people will be capable of work in direction of increased ranges of technical coaching, together with grasp technician or skilled accreditation, together with supervisory and managerial positions. As well as, producers might supply their very own particular product associated superior coaching that will likely be made out there to people working within the franchised trade or as continued skilled growth (CPD). On profitable completion of this apprentice customary the person will likely be eligible to use to hitch the Institute of the Motor Trade (IMI) Skilled Register, a register of certified time serving people in all points of the motor trade, enabling the general public and employers to confirm the particular person has certified as an apprentice.
Normal evaluate: This customary is due for evaluate in three years.
Crown copyright © 2022. Chances are you’ll re-use this info (not together with logos) freed from cost in any format or medium, underneath the phrases of the Open Authorities Licence. Go to www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence