Winter might have come and gone, however a few of its respiratory viruses are nonetheless right here and circulating in our communities.
UC Davis Well being specialists are seeing circumstances of influenza (flu), RSV and different respiratory viruses – although summer time is across the nook.
“Influenza circumstances are nonetheless rising and lots of community-associated respiratory viruses are growing,” stated Dean Blumberg, chief of pediatric infectious ailments at UC Davis Youngsters’s Hospital. “These viruses are all usually related to the colder months. They don’t normally cling round this lengthy.”
The California Division of Public Well being has reported that influenza exercise is elevated and continues to flow into in California. Nearly all of detected influenza viruses are the pressure generally known as A (H3N2).
“We don’t know why this is perhaps taking place, nevertheless it could possibly be as a result of a really dangerous match between the flu vaccine and the circulating H3N2 pressure. Plus, there have been elevated alternatives for transmission after the previous two winters of lockdowns,” Blumberg stated.
Influenza circumstances are nonetheless rising and lots of community-associated respiratory viruses are growing, These viruses are all usually related to the colder months. They don’t normally cling round this lengthy.”
Pediatrician Tammy Woo stated she and her colleagues had been diagnosing circumstances of flu A up till about two weeks in the past on the UC Davis Well being Midtown Clinic.
“We’re nonetheless seeing quite a lot of abdomen bugs, and I did have a affected person with RSV final week,” Woo stated. “Hand, foot and mouth illness can also be going round now, however that isn’t fully out of the atypical I feel.”
The winter sicknesses are taking place because the specter of the COVID-19 variants Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 proceed to take maintain. The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention has decided that Sacramento County has a excessive stage of COVID-19, with the speed of unfold eight occasions larger than it was in April.
So how ought to individuals defend themselves from these viruses? UC Davis Well being specialists suggest taking the standard precautions:
- If you’re feeling sick, keep dwelling. Don’t go to highschool or work and don’t run errands.
- Keep away from shut contact with people who find themselves sick.
- Cowl your mouth and nostril when coughing or sneezing. Throw away the tissue and wash your palms if you find yourself finished.
- Clear your palms usually. Sing the birthday track twice whereas washing your palms with cleaning soap and water. When cleaning soap and water aren’t obtainable, use alcohol-based gel hand sanitizers and rub your palms till the gel is dry.
- Put on a well-fitted masks or face protecting to guard your self in areas when you may’t keep a secure distance from others.